Summer is approaching fast and that mean vacations and car rentals. You found a
great deal on a car rental. When you finally get off the plane you are eager to get to
your destination and that is just how car rental agents like it.
While you are thinking about your vacation, the car rental agent is more likely to get you spend more money on unnecessary upgrades, hidden fees and stick you with other charges you should avoid. Somehow your contract ends up costing you a lot more! After all, they get perks for how much they add to your car rental.
- Read the fine print and understand the terms of your rental agreement. Do the fees depend on the length of your rental? If your flight is delayed and you pick the rental up late, does your fee change?
- Ask about other penalty charges, airport fees, cancellations or drop-off fees.
- Do you really need added insurance? Check with your auto insurance agent, us, before you book a car rental to see if your insurance extends to a rented car.
- I think we all know not to buy gas from car rental companies, it usually ends up costing you more. Just make sure you are clear on how much gas needs to be in the tank when you return the car to avoid penalties. Ask if they need a receipt as proof of gas purchase.
- Your base rental fee may sound great but what about taxes, airport surcharges and other fees. They really add up making your great deal not so great. Be sure to ask about all associated fees that will be added to your bill.
- Watch out for the upsells! They can be anything from a bigger car, you need more power in the hot weather, to a GPS or toll transponder. If they are pushing you for an upgrade it may be because they are out of the car you requested. Just say no thank you, you want the car you reserved. Let them offer you the upgrade for free.