OK, talking about chores are never going to make anyone jump for joy,
but what might put a smile on your face is learning new ways you can get more efficient at maintaining your home and finding ways to save money on everyday problems. With the right kind of home hacks, by using simple house hold items, or accessible ways to save money in and around your home, things can get easier and cheaper. Whether you’re on the lookout for faster ways to wash dishes or smarter ways to fit more into your kitchen this list has some pretty common sense solutions. These are the highlights of what we’ve learned recently and will embrace for years to come.
Simple Baking Soda is a Cheap & Easy Cleaning Alternative
People have been using baking soda since ancient times. The Egyptians used this mixture to clean. People even used forms of baking soda throughout history for bread making. The cleaning product companies are trying to hide this fact for years.
Take the plunge and live cleaner, create a more environmentally conscious home, all while saving money. You’ll love this list! Here are all the ways in which you can use baking soda to improve your health, protect the environment and keep your savings account topped up.
Just 10 of the MANY Easy Ways Using Baking Soda Will Save You Money
- Make a natural deodorant
- Treat ulcer and heartburn pain
- Soothe a sunburn
- Make a toothpaste, Brighten your smile
- Clean your sink and your Carpets
- Freshen Your Shoes
- Fix those Cracked Dry Feet
- Keep laundry fresh
- Clean your Pots and Pans & Power-Up Your Dishwasher
- Freshen up your cat’s litter box
The list of possible benefits could go on, and on and on, but Baking Soda is truly a miracle product.
Things To Keep Handy, To Reduce Laundry Stains
Keep Clothes Looking Better, Longer
Stains Happen – But They Don’t Have To Be Stubborn. Reduce or Prevent Lasting Damage If You Apply These Tips ASAP:
- Laundry Pre-Treating Pens – As soon as stains happen, take that handy pre-treating pen or stocks and apply to the stains before you stick them in the hamper.
- Scrub Small Stains – With A Toothbrush, nailbrush and a paste of baking soda and hot water.
- Fill A Bucket – Setup a mixture of cold water and 1/2 cup of color-safe bleach. Any stained items as they happen, then you can wash them all together when its laundry time.
- Use The Washing Machine Soak Cycle – Many stains simply need longer contact with the detergent to get them out.
Home Owners Are In For A Big Surprise
Learn about how you might be able to get a lower monthly mortgage payment through the Flex Modification program.
Since 2009, HARP has helped millions of Americans to save big with this amazing Home Affordable Refinance Plan. Unfortunately, this program expired at the end of 2018 and so many people missed their chance to reduce their monthly payments with it.
But don’t worry, there’s another option, and it’s a GREAT ONE.
FLEX is amazing mortgage program can help homeowners pay for home improvements or go on vacation, but the banks have been keeping this a secret! Thousands of home owners have used it to save as much as $3,000 per year! As far as we are aware, deadlines for these programs haven’t yet been announced, but this program could end any time in 2019, just like HARP did in 2018. If transforming your home, paying off debts, or even just taking the cash for a vacation or new car would help you, it’s smart to act now. The FHA Cash Out Program can provide up to $77,221 to qualified homeowners.
You Can Cut Your Food With Kitchen Shears
No Fuss – No Mess
Kitchen scissors can cut spaghetti, split up choke-able foods such as grapes, meats or even snip meat into bite-sized chunks. You can do all of this without messing around with a sharp knife or dirtying a cutting board. If you need to whip up something quick, or prep for dinner, this is a great way of reducing the cleanup and save on dishwasher space. Simple Right?
The Fitted Sheet Tag Is Actually A Guide To Help You Put On The Fitted Cover
Make The Bed Right The First Time
Ever been annoyed that you didn’t put on the fitted sheet properly and have to start over when making the bed after laundry day? Your fitted sheet should have a tag sewn into one of the corners. That tag not only provides you with the laundering details, but it is a map to successfully wrapping your mattress. If you’ve ever struggled putting the fitted sheet on your mattress, here’s the Secret: The corner with the tag always goes on the bottom right side of your mattress (if you are facing the headboard). I never knew that, but now we both do.
Get Yourself a Home Warranty Plan
Still unknown to many is a Home Warranty Plan. This warranty could benefit millions of households and help them avoid hefty payments for breakdowns of appliances or major mechanical systems.
You likely have homeowners insurance, right? A home warranty plan is similar to a homeowners insurance plan, but it covers many things that an average insurance plan will not cover – washing machines, dryers, dishwashers or even an oven failures.
Sometimes, homeowners are offered a home warranty plan with the purchase of a new house to pay for covered repairs during the first year, while they are settling into a new home. However, home warranties are not just for new buyers. The reality is all homeowners can purchase a home warranty plan anytime!
- Homeowners spend an average of $900 each year to repair home systems and appliances. Consumer Expenditure Survey, U.S. Census
- A home system or appliance repair can range from $65 to $2,000 and replacement averages $1,085. Home Repair and Remodel, Marshall & Swift L.P.
- It costs $3,000 annually to maintain a $300,000 home - MSN Real Estate
In comparison to these astronomical expenses, a Home Warranty Plan starts as low as $1 a day! Stop worrying about breakdowns and technicians ripping you off or overcharging for simple fixes!
See if you qualify…
Click this link to check your ZIP code for free. (Not all zip codes will qualify)
Once you enter your ZIP code and enter your home info, you will be able to see how a home warranty can save you money.
Tired Of Buying Lint Rollers To Get Rid Of All That Pesky Pet Hair?
Squeegee It Away
You love your dog or cat, but you probably don’t love all the animal hair getting everywhere and having to constantly clean it up. No more looking for that lint roller on your way out the door because you sat down in that chair by the window for a moment. Instead of spending all that cash on lint roller that barely work, there’s a much better solution. Using that windshield squeegee you use for the car, you can get all that pet hair off with just a couple of swipes. Wasn’t that easy?
A Pillow In A Freezer Before Getting Into Bed Is One Cool Trick!
Cuddle With Something Cool
On humid, hot nights, it can feel like there’s no way to get comfortable in bed, and you end up tossing and turning trying.Thankfully, there’s an easy way to cool off without having to spend money on central air, or having that expensive air conditioner going on all night. Simply spray your pillowcase with a tiny put of water and put it in the freezer for 15-20 minutes before you put it back on your pillow. Simple, and yet so effective. This will help you stay cool even on the hottest of nights. Try it, it works!
Say Bye-Bye To Small Furniture Scratches With A Dab Of Toothpaste
Don’t Replace It – Brush It
We all have pieces of furniture that have a small scratch here, a small scratch there, but before you go spending hundreds of dollars getting it fixed or re-finished try this simple method. Simply get some non-gel toothpaste from your bathroom, and rub a small dab about the size of pea into the scratch in a circular motion. Keep rubbing it into the furniture until it buffs out, and simply clean with a slightly damp towel.
Get The Wrinkles Out Of Your Clothes With An Ice Cube In The Dryer
Don’t Even Need A Steamer
Get rid of the iron or handheld steamer and just grab some ice if you want to remove the wrikles from your shirts, pants or dresses. Put a few ice-cubes in the dryer along with a few items of clothing and place it on the hottest setting. The way it works, is that the ice melts, turns to steam which then removes those wrinkles quickly. On lighter fabrics, it’s even quicker but on heavy ones, this trick doesn’t work as well. You don’t have set the dryer to run more than 15 minutes too, probably less.
Local Window Contractors Compete For Your Business
Keep your hard-earned dollars from flying out the window by and get your windows up to date. This time of year, you are probably thinking of it, but the time is now to save 100$’s on Heating Costs. Take advantage, and get local windows contractors to compete for your business – And You Save! Get quotes from up to four pre-screened, licensed, & insured contractors.
Whether you need to Replace windows, replace the glass only or repair the frame / hardware… You’ll only get the lowest rate through competition.
Got Break Lying Around? A Simple Trick To Pick Up Broken Glass Pieces
It Truly Is A Wonder Bread
At some point everyone drops a glass and hears it shatter on the floor or counter. It’s not the loss of the glass that’s makes your heart sink, it’s the effort in making sure you got all of the little crumbs of glass when cleaning up. Don’t despair, if you got a slice of break handy, you’ll make quick work of the making sure you got everything cleaned up. Spring into action, not with your bare hands, but with a little help from what makes a sandwich… well a sandwich. After you’ve picked up all the big pieces, the little shards can be gathered together simply by putting a little water on a pieces of break, and pressing on the floor or counter where the remaining glass fragments are. The glass will embed itself in the break without the danger of cutting up your digits or feet. It’s much easier than trying to sweep up every last piece, and you’ll likely gather up all this tiny bits and practically invisible to your naked eye. No more sharp surprises on the soles of your feet for you, or your loved ones.
Amazing Home Hacks For The Pool Noodle That Show You It’s Just Not For The Water
Stubbing Your Toe On The Bed-frame? Not With This Hack!
Ever Hit Your Toe On Bed Frame, Yup, Hurts A Lot. Simple Tricks with pool noodles can avoid that and many other common annoyances. The Pool Noodle is incredibly versatile, cut it to size, with a serrated knife and put it to work all over the place.
- Use Over Clothes Lines Or Hangers To Decrease Fold Marks
- Over Your Roof Rack To Protect Furniture You Put On Your Car
- A Flexible Inside Hose – Attach one end to your faucet and one end to a bucket on the ground, and fill the bucket up with no spilling!
- As A Door Stopper – Ever had your dog close the door and get stuck in a room? No cut a section off, slice it open, and put on the side of your door to prevent it from closing.
- Attach Around A Tupperware Container – And now you have a floating bin for your drinks, food in the pool.
- Keep Your Tall Shoes Standing Straight – Put them in as inserts into your tall boots or shoes to keep them from falling down and getting wrinkled..
- Against The Wall In The Garage – Cut Slots for it, to lean you fishing rods against to keep from falling & secured.
- And Of Course, Put It Over The Legs Of Your Bed Frame – No More Toe Pain!
Simple, Cheap Way To Keep All Those Small Items Handy
It Isn’t Just For Storing Shoes!
The Easy To Find, Inexpensive Hanging Shoe Organizer is great for collecting small items that are lying around. Wouldn’t it be nice to have things ready and organized without breaking the bank? Just some of the things you can put in the little pockets.
- Hair Accessories – You won’t lose them now.
- Season Gear – Sunscreen, Sunglasses, scarves, mittens, etc…
- Gift Wrap Stuff – Table, Ribbon, Bows and together in one place.
- Electronic Gadgets And Chargers
- Small Toy Collection – In case kids come over and you need something to occupy them.
- Card Games
- Home Repair Items – Screwdrivers, Picture Frame Holders, screws, small hammer, nails, measuring tape.
- Mailing Supplies – Stamps, Envelopes, Pens, Labels.
- Water Bottles – Avoid buying bottle water on your way out when these are handy to fill up.
Did You Know This Technology Can Do A Bathroom Remodel In 1 Day?
On A Budget – And Need A Bathroom Remodel?
You have probably heard that new technology is allowing people to remodel their bathrooms in as little as 1 day. This allows homeowners to avoid the inconvenience and mess of weeks of construction while replacing an old tub with a sleek new upgrade. Finding the right contractor for your bathroom remodel can be complicated. From shower conversions to custom mobility and safety requirements, the options and prices range considerably. Instead of spending hours researching online, you can use this website to compare options, and find quality providers that work in your local area.
This Cheap (From DollarTree!) Roll of Spongy Mesh Material That Adds Grip To Any Surface
No-Slip Shelf Liner Can Do So Much!
This cheap Item can be picked up at any dollar store and be cut to fit any placement. Here’s a Great List of Some of it’s uses. Don’t shell out all this cash when you can do this on the cheap, and it’s just as effective.
- Under The Cutting Board
- Drying Mat For Frequently Used Items
- Use It Like a Glove To Open Jars (HAS GRIP)
- On Hair Barrettes – Cut Up Little Pieces To Add Grip
- Under The Throw Rug – Now It Won’t Move!
- Under The Pet Bowls
- Behind Picture Frames/strong> – To Keep The Picture Frames Straight.
- Add To Hangers – To Keep Clothes From Falling Off.
- Under Shampoo and Soap Bottles In the Bath/Shower – Won’t Slip When Wet
- Under Table Cloths
- Puzzle Mat – Keeps the Pieces from moving around.
Quick-Fix Dinner Ingredients To Always Keep On Hand
With A Little Prep Before Hand – Dinner Can Be There When It Needs To Be
Don’t Have Time To Prepare Dinner? You need no-brainer ingredients on hand to quickly pull together a filling, nutritious meal. Think of this list as your dinnertime insurance.
- Pasta – Various shapes of dried and frozen pasta can form the backbone of many simple pleasing dinners.
- Bottled Sauces – Good-quality sauces (soy, BBQ, marinara, curry) add instant flavor to frilled meats and vegetables.
- All-purpose seasoning – A sprinking of salt, pepper, onion or garlic powder brings out the flavor in savory dishes.
- Broth – Add chicken, beef, or vegetable broth (canned, concentrated or cubed) to grains, soups and sauces to boost flavor.
- Canned Tuna or Salmon – Great Topper for salads or you can make burgers with it.
- Canned Beans – Beans are a great and inexpensive protein that are practically ready to eat (and if you have salsa nearby, even better)
- Canned tomatoes – Many easy meals start with a can of tomatoes or tomato sauce.
- Quick-cooking grains – Rice, couscous or quimnoa can cook while you finish with the rest of the meal.
- Olive Oil – Use it for sautes and stir-fries or to dress salads or eat with bread along with vinegar.
- Butter – Butter and a pinch of salt adds flavor and richness to steamed veggies, pasta and rice.
- Eggs – Scrambled, fried, or hard-boiled, eggs are a quick, versatile source of protein.
- Chopped Garlic & Ginger – Keep a jar of each in the fridge to add some fast flavor without having to do all that tedious chopping every time.
- Grated and shredded cheeses – Parmesan, jack, cheddar and mozzarella all keep very well in the freezer.
- Assorted frozen vegetables & fruit – The quality is good, and the price is great, and you don’t have to wash or chop them up.
- Cuts of Meat that are quick to cook – Have your butcher trim, cut and wrap meats right away so you can freeze them for later.
- Sausages and Meatballs – Add to pasta sauces for a heartier meal, or fry them in a pan and serve with BBQ sauce.
Did you know that about 50% of the money you spend on utility bills goes on heating or cooling your home?
Reduce your heating by 10 degrees at night, you will use 10% less energy, and spend 10% less
The benefit of a programmable thermostat is that you don’t have to remember to turn the furnace or air conditioning down when you leave or go to bed. The thermostat does this for you based on the presets you give it. This saves money by not running expensive appliances when they’re not needed. It can keep the temperature in your home stable, within 2 or 3 degrees from high to low. Avoiding extreme fluctuations also saves money because the appliances don’t have to compensate for dramatic changes.
Shop around for a fairly priced thermostat that you can control remotely with your smartphone. All programmable thermostats also come with manual controls. If you’re home and need more heating or cooling, the push of a button to temporarily over-ride the system is all it takes.
Another point worth thinking about is the amount of stress you put on your heating and cooling system. The more efficiently it runs, the less stress there is and that can only mean it will last longer.
In short, having a programmable thermostat installed in your home is a win-win situation. Even if you do spend more on the unit initially, it will pay for itself in no time.
Try Using an Outdoor Clothesline or Indoor Drying Rack
Want to Save over $200 on your Electric Bill?
Hang up some Laundry from each Load Up onto a Clothesline or equivalent to save money on your Electric Bill. With only a few items from every load you’ll save money every time you turn your dryer on. You can throw in a dry towel in with your wet clothes to speed up drying time. Since dryers are one of the most expensive household appliances to operate, there’s plenty of rooms for savings. Try starting out with hanging up 1/4 of each load. You’ll not just save money, but extend the life of your clothes, towels, etc…
Stop Spending Money on Car Repairs!
Ever fixed your car and paid out of pocket?
Your car is the most expensive thing you will own other than your home. The dealer will often provide a warranty for the first 3-4 years, but after that, you are completely unprotected. We all know auto repairs cost a lot of money especially since shops charge as much as $175/hour just for labour. That is why it is recommended that all drivers get an Auto Warranty to protect against such costly repairs for the life of your vehicle.
With an Complete Car Warranty, protecting your vehicle has never been easier, as most companies will customise a car warranty to fit your needs, taking into account all of your concerns.
Car warranty benefits:
- Cars are complex – And with these added complexities there’s a higher risk for breakdowns.
- Convenience and peace-of-mind – Experiencing a car breaking down is incredibly stressful and disruptive.
- Budget protection – Breakdowns happen and the unexpected costs can add up.
- Greater car value – This is the hidden benefit many don’t consider. A vehicle that was under a car warranty is more likely to be well maintained and in good working order and will command a higher trade-in value down the road.
This article originally published on HarborMarkdowns.com