It is getting close to that time, kids back in school. Here are some safety tips to start teaching your children:
Walking to school:
- Walk on the sidewalk when available. If there is no sidewalk, walk facing the traffic.
- Before crossing the street, stop and look both ways to check for moving vehicles.
- NEVER dart out in front of a parked car.
- Practice walking to school with your child. Teach them to cross at crosswalks when available.
Riding a bike to school:
- Make sure your child always wears a safety helmet and that it fits properly. You know how fast they grow!
- Ride on the right side of the road with traffic, single file.
- Come to a complete stop before crossing the street. Look both ways for moving cars and then walk bicycle across the street.
Riding the bus to school:
- Go to the bus stop with your child and teach them the proper way to get on and off the bus.
- Make sure they stand at least six feet away (3 giant steps) from the curb.
- If you need to cross the street in front of the bus, walk about ten feet ahead of the bus so you can see the bus driver and they can see you.