Auto Homeowners Umbrella Earthquake Commercial

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless. orderless gas produced by the
incomplete burning of any carbon-containing material including gasoline, natural gas, propane, coal or wood. CO is dangerous because it replaces oxygen in the blood and interferes with the transport of needed oxygen to cells in the body. That is a little technical but it gets the point across, Carbon Monoxide is bad for you.

 

Each year, nearly 5,000 people in the United States are treated in hospital emergency rooms for Carbon Monoxide poisoning. However, this number is believed to be a lowball of CO poisoning because many people with CO symptoms mistake the symptoms for the flu or are misdiagnosed.

 

Common sources of CO include the following wood or gas fueled appliances:

Room heaters

Furnaces

Charcoal grills

Cooking ranges

Water heaters

Automobiles run in closed garages

Fireplaces

Portable generators

Wood burning stoves

Symptoms of CO poisoning can mimic those of the flu or food poisoning. Early exposure symptoms may include:

Dizziness 

Nausea 

Headache 

Weakness 

Inattention 

Fatigue 

Because CO poisoning symptoms mimic the flu or food poisoning, it is important to inform medical responders of the possibility of exposure to excessive amounts of CO. Poisoning can be reversed if caught in time, but acute poisoning can result in permanent damage to the heart and brain.

Take some time to make sure home is carbon monoxide free:

Have a qualified service technician should perform preventive maintenance on homes with central and room heating appliances (including water heaters and gas dryers) annually. The technician should look at the electrical and mechanical components of appliances, such as thermostat controls and automatic safety devices.

Chimneys and flues should be cleaned annually and kept free of blockages, corrosion, and loose connections.

Individual appliances should be serviced regularly.

Kerosene and gas space heaters (vented or unvented) should be cleaned and inspected to ensure proper operation.

You know what they say about an ounce of prevention: You can buy a carbon monoxide detector for as little as $20.00 at hardware and discount stores. The device can detect toxic concentrations of CO in the air and sound an alarm. Not a lot to safeguard yourself and your family from the "cold weather killer"! 


Posted 12:00 PM  View Comments

Share |


No Comments


Post a Comment
Name
Required
E-Mail
Required (Not Displayed)
Comment
Required


All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Required
CAPTCHA
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
 
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive


View Mobile Version
QUICK LINKS

Home
About
Get a Quote
Contact

Refer a Friend Leave A Review
                                      R.L. Thomas Service, Inc.

21021Ventura Blvd., 215                        9655 Granite Ridge Road, 200 
Woodland Hills, CA  91364                    San Diego, CA 92123  
Phone (818) 380-1700                             Phone (858) 737-6335
Fax (818) 906-0667                                  Fax (858) 726-2693
             

                                            License#: 0601754
Powered by Insurance Website Builder